Click on the headings to read about some recent work we've done to solve some serious sewage and grease problems.
Sewage Treatment Plant Failure
400 cover Country Restaurant Pub, serving fresh food prepared on site. The kitchen waste discharged to a 100 gallon traditional grease trap. All of the site sewage flowed to an on site package sewage treatment plant which discharged into an environmentally sensitive stream.
The sewage treatment plant was failing to meet Environment Agency discharge consent and the owner was in the process of being prosecuted for polluting the river.
Serious were called in to undertake a full assessment of the site, the drainage network, grease management and sewage treatment plant, to then provide and implement solutions and give advice to minimise the risk of future issues.
- Electro-mechanical fault with the sewage treatment plant
- Treatment process failure due to huge volumes of sewage sludge transfer
- Substantial grease contamination of the treatment zone
- Structural failure of the final effluent discharge pipework
- Carried out a full desludge and jet wash in the treatment zone
- Emptied the grease trap and bypassed it
- Installed a WPL Grease Guzzler system to pro-actively treat grease and increase bacterial count within the sewage treatment plant
- Jetted and surveyed all on site drains
- Carried out the electro-mechanical repairs
- Full bacterial regeneration of the treatment plant
- Implement all structural drain repairs
- Cleaned the stream of sewage debris and algae growth
- Carried out all liaison with Environment Agency and assisted in defence
- Instigated routine servicing and desludging programme
The sewage treatment plant was operating within consent in 7 days and has consistently remained within the limit.
An Oriental theme Restaurant Pub, serving traditionally cooked Thai, Malaysian and Chinese food. The kitchen is located on the ground floor with the main seating on the lower ground level.
Regular blockages of the drains and flooding within the seating area
Serious were called in to undertake a full grease management audit and make recommendations for pro-active grease management to coincide with a site refurbishment.
The internal drainage system was traced which identified that the waste pipe from the pot wash area passed under the kitchen floor and connected into the discharge pipe from a 6 wok burner drain. The combined flow then dropped to the lower ground level, running from the rear of the property into the public sewer at the front of the property
The blockages were a direct result of grease and cooking oil mixing with cold water causing the fat to solidify in the pipes.
- Drainage defects were rectified
- Pipes were cleaned of fat build up
- Installation of a grease trap designed to manage large volumes of waste water and fat
Blockages and flooding within the pub stopped immediately.
Sewage Treatment Plant Upgrade
Traditional destination pub, cooking serving over 200 meals per day. The site had a 1980’s designed trickle sewage treatment plant.
Regular overloading of the sewage treatment plant resulting in pollution to a nearby watercourse. This was causing extreme smell problems in warm weather, leading to high numbers of customer complaints.
Serious were asked to undertake a full assessment of the sewage treatment plant and calculate sewage loadings based on the sites busiest times.
The loading based on trade levels were twice the capacity of the original sewage treatment plant.
Design, supply and install a SAF sewage treatment plant able to cope with the amount of waste being generated in the pub.
Undertake routine desludging and servicing of the plant.
A new sewage treatment plant which consistently produces a discharge that exceeds the Environment Agencies requirements.
An outside area that no longer smells during warm weather, leading to increased trade levels.
Pump Station Upgrade
A high trade, modern city centre bar located in the ground floor of a 5 storey office development. The sub-basement area houses a cellar, office and staff facilities.
Twin pump station failure combined with corroded pipework.
Serious performed emergency works to provide a temporary solution alongside creating plans to upgrade the system.
- The pump station was 12 years old and had been constructed to achieve a low capital cost (floor mounted pumps on permanent rigid pipework) rather than with a view to easy long term maintenance and repair.
- The pump station was also serving the offices above
- Loss of stock, and trade due to basement flooding
- Poor access to the basement meant a tanker couldn’t reach the pump station to desludge it
- Emergency clean-up operation
- Supply and install a temporary pump system to enable the outlet to continue to trade
- Design, supply and install a permanent flexible pumped mains system and upgrade the pumps
A high quality, more capable and fully serviceable pump system.
Pump Station Installation
A semi-rural branded restaurant pub serving fresh onsite food. Trade levels had steadily increased over the last 10 years and the pub had transformed from a traditional pub into a successful food outlet. Despite the redevelopment of the site and the resulting increase in trade, no improvements or upgrades had been carried out to the sewerage system. The site discharged to an old twin chamber brick septic tank that discharged directly into a stream.
Pollution to a stream due to inadequacy of the septic tank.
Serious were called upon to undertake an assessment of the situation and supply options for a permanent solution.
There were two solutions:
- Design and supply a SAF sewage treatment plant to meet the Environment Agency consent requirements
- Design, supply and install a modern twin sewage pumping station to pump all of the sewage from the site to the nearest public sewer, approximately 1200m away
Option 2 would be the most environmentally effective solution, a direct connection to the public sewer, despite incurring sewerage rates, enhances the value of the property.
Serious successfully negotiated with all relevant landowners, the relevant Highways Agency and Water PLC.
A high quality and fully serviceable pump system installed and maintained.